Deans shall communicate directly with the Provost's Office concerning all arrangements for a move. Requests for moving reimbursement expense must be submitted in writing to the Provost by the respective school Dean at the time the initial appointment request is submitted. Special circumstances involving requests for exceptions to the guidelines below shall be made to the Provost as early as possible.
The following is a guideline for moving expenses for new faculty of Biola University:
The following actual and reasonable travel and moving expenses shall be reimbursable on a receipted basis up to a maximum of $10,000:
- One trip for faculty member and spouse to Southern California for house search, typically $1,000.
- Family expenses associated with the move itself but not included in the mover's bill: motels (budget), food, fuel. The total for food, fuel and lodging shall not exceed $150.00 per day, typically $750 for 5 days at approximately 500 miles daily.
- The person being moved must solicit a minimum of three (3) bids, one of which must be from Allied Van Lines which provides an educational institutional discount. Biola reserves the privilege of selecting the lowest bid when quotes vary substantially.
- Occasionally, closing costs associated with the purchase of a house may be included in the total moving bill with approval of the Provost's Office, but when combined with the above expenses shall not exceed $10,000.
The full cost of moving will be reimbursed up to $1,500 less applicable deductions for federal and state taxes for reimbursable allowances that are subject to taxes.
In the event that the full cost of moving exceeds $1,500, the remaining amount up to a combined total of $10,000 will be available from Biola University as a loan. The loan of up to $6,000 will be made as a simple loan agreement with a promissory note.
If the new faculty member teaches at Biola for:
|one year||...........................||1/3 of the loan is forgiven|
|two years||...........................||2/3 of the loan is forgiven|
|three years||...........................||100% of the loan is forgiven|
If the new faculty member is terminated by Biola University at any time for reasons other than a dismissal for violating the Standard of Conduct, the complete loan will be forgiven.
Effective January 1, 1994, to qualify for tax deductions for moving expenses, the new principal place of work must be at least 50 miles farther from the employee's former residence than his/her former place of work was from the former residence. Excludable expenses are as follows:
- Reasonable cost of moving household goods and personal affects from the former home to the new home
- Reasonable cost of traveling (mileage and lodging) from the former home to the new home
The 2013 standard mileage rate is 24 cents per mile for use of an automobile as part of a move for which the expenses are deductible under §217. See section 5 of Rev. Proc. 2010-51.
Reimbursements made for expenses that do not meet the criteria above will be subject to applicable withholding for federal and state taxes. For example, any reimbursements that may be provided for the following expenses are subject to tax withholding:
- Costs associated with a house search trip
- The cost of temporary housing
- Costs associated with the purchase of a house
- Meals purchased while en-route to new location